There’s a certain magical feeling that comes with being pregnant. Pregnancy is truly an experience like no other. It is like a tribute to our awesome Creator and proof of how amazing our bodies are… because to grow a human being right beneath your heart isn’t something we take for granted. However, no matter how magical pregnancy is, it also comes with certain fears. There’s a tiny bit of every pregnant woman that fears for the uncertainty or doubts her capability to deliver her unborn child into the world perfectly healthy.
Fear can be debilitating. It can be crippling. But the good news is that fear can also be managed. Here are a few things that you can do to manage your fear during your pregnancy:
- Define your fear and give it a name. Once you know what they are, you can find a solution to it. When you doubt your ability to care for a newborn, surround yourself with people that have cared for babies before and learn from them. You can even invite them to help you care for your child when she arrives earth-side. Or, when you fear the pain that comes with child birth, discuss this with your caregiver and ask him/her of what to expect and to recommend you ways to manage your pain when you come to it.
- Be mindful of the process. Your body is going through a lot during the 40-week gestational period. It is changing and adjusting at rapid speed. Give your body the credit it deserves because it is doing an amazing job of growing a human and give it as much peace as you possibly can during the process.
- Educate yourself. Medicine and technology have taken great leaps. The advancement in technology allows you to anticipate when complications arise. With anticipation comes solutions, and with solutions comes relief. Read books and publications, use visits to your caregiver as an opportunity to learn and to discuss your pregnancy in detail.
- Surround yourself with the right people. The unknown is scary enough without people feeding you negative thoughts and driving you to fear. Keep a comfortable distance if you must because you don’t need the extra stress. Instead, we want to encourage you to find people who can give you a peace of mind, family who can comfort you, and friends who will help you to put out the fires in your mind whenever fear of the unknown hits you.
- Believe that you are made for this. As much as people think that getting pregnant is easy, it is actually not. There are people trying to get pregnant everyday – some succeed but some unfortunately don’t. To be able to go through this process means that your body is ready and strong enough to do this. Although some might call it superstition, we truly believe that a mother’s thoughts and emotions will affect the baby. So, grow that baby with strong faith!
Whether you are pregnant for the first time or the fourth, pregnancy can still be a scary journey to be on. Please know that you are never alone. Know that your caregivers, your family, and your friends want to see you deliver your child into this world safely. Don’t be afraid to share your thoughts and fears with the right people who can help you manage it. But most of all, remember that there is a great price to be won at the end of this journey, because the moment your child is born, you will understand what it feels like to hold an entire world in your arms. And that’s the greatest feeling a woman can ever feel.
With much love to you,